Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TQ Mgmt BE GONE!!!!

Tuner

TQ Mgmt BE GONE!!!!

Transmission

Engine

05 2500HD 6.0L, Magnacharger Radix, Magnaflow CatBack, TransGo HD-2, Detroit Locker, Caltracs, Intro Pentia8 20x10\'s, BFG G-force KDW Tires 305/50-20\'s, M&H 33/15.50-16 Cheater Slicks, HPTuners V2.0.1

Senior Tuner

Re: TQ Mgmt BE GONE!!!!

If you zero the spark tables for traction control, it is going
    to have to do all the work via the throttle and brakes,
    which is worse (F-body TCS at least tries spark, throttle,
    brake in that order and the only one that's at all "agile"
    is spark). Best off in my experience to leave alone, or even
    increase the TCS spark authority so it can do a decent job
    without moving the throttle out from under your foot.

Other than that, all those zeroes ought to do the job.

Myself, I have been working at it from the angle of trying to
    keep some protection for the trans and not going for
    zero torque cut, just a less nasty one. Using the spark
    retard vs torque reduction table and populating it with
    smaller (0-15) regree retard values, and massaging the
    torque reduction vs torque tables somewhat. In my
    opinion the ideal is to be pushing maybe 300 lb-ft through
    the shifts, keep some acceleration but within the design
    limits of the trans.

I don't think you want to mess with the torque loss vs retard
    table, that I think is just used to back-figure torques. The
    retard vs % torque reduction is the "forward" table to figure
    the spark setting, under a commanded torque reduction.
    At least this is the way I make it out.

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    If you zero the spark tables for traction control, it is going
    to have to do all the work via the throttle and brakes,
    which is worse (F-body TCS at least tries spark, throttle,
    brake in that order and the only one that's at all "agile"
    is spark). Best off in my experience to leave alone, or even
    increase the TCS spark authority so it can do a decent job
    without moving the throttle out from under your foot.
    I'm not sure the traction control on my truck is so involved as say an f-body or even an Avalanche for that matter. There is no TC button on my dash.
    what are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    Other than that, all those zeroes ought to do the job.

Myself, I have been working at it from the angle of trying to
    keep some protection for the trans and not going for
    zero torque cut, just a less nasty one. Using the spark
    retard vs torque reduction table and populating it with
    smaller (0-15) regree retard values, and massaging the
    torque reduction vs torque tables somewhat. In my
    opinion the ideal is to be pushing maybe 300 lb-ft through
    the shifts, keep some acceleration but within the design
    limits of the trans.

I don't think you want to mess with the torque loss vs retard
    table, that I think is just used to back-figure torques. The
    retard vs % torque reduction is the "forward" table to figure
    the spark setting, under a commanded torque reduction.
    At least this is the way I make it out.
    I have the 4l80e with transgo shiftkit. So I was thinking I might get away with much less TQ Mgmt than most.
    05 2500HD 6.0L, Magnacharger Radix, Magnaflow CatBack, TransGo HD-2, Detroit Locker, Caltracs, Intro Pentia8 20x10\'s, BFG G-force KDW Tires 305/50-20\'s, M&H 33/15.50-16 Cheater Slicks, HPTuners V2.0.1

Tuner

I've had the above settings loaded for about a week now.
    The tranny shifts much more consistently now, instead of the sometimes Tq Mgmt I was expierencing before. Also, seems to be a little more responsive as well, all good stuff ;D

Thanks for everyones help and thanks for looking, I'll leave the tables up for a while as they may help someone else

Potential Tuner

First thanks for the post. There were a couple of tables that I didn't know about to change.
    One thing I can't figure out though is the first table for engine/ torque managament/ general. The table in the post shows a bunch of values under the tip in tab but my version of the software does not have these values? Does anyone know what is wrong or where the values are in my version? I have 1.7

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett_H
    First thanks for the post. There were a couple of tables that I didn't know about to change.
    One thing I can't figure out though is the first table for engine/ torque managament/ general. The table in the post shows a bunch of values under the tip in tab but my version of the software does not have these values? Does anyone know what is wrong or where the values are in my version? I have 1.7
    No problem

also, just a warning to any Holden owners out there. If your Max Torque value has something like 100 or 150 in there then it is likely your vehicle is a Ute and is fitted with a variable speed fuel pump. The "Max Torque" setting is actually used to switch the fuel pump to high speed when the torque exceeds this value.

ie. do not raise it otherwise your fuel pressure will be very low.

info in the help files.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Chris, does the fuel pressure max torque apply to GTO's as well? Does this max torque setting really lower the amount of torque at the wheels? I have had mine at 640 but went back to 350(stock) just wondering if I should leave it at stock or not.

Advanced Tuner
    Only affects Holden Utes. The GTO is unaffected by this change. However, 350ft-lbs is a lot of torque, and even with a head/cam, few will be lucky to push this figure. Even so, this is a calculated figure. Logging the engine torque should give you an idea of where its peaking.

For TM I left all my tables completely stock, except for 2. I eliminated torque management in POWER mode and left some in NORMAL mode, disabling transmission abuse. I also set my shift adaption times to 0. Unless someone has other ideas, I see no need to play with any spark limiting torque in the engine program.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MNR-0
    I also set my shift adaption times to 0.
    which table is this?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by moregrip
    which table is this?
    Shift Properties|Desired Shift Time

Tuner
    Shift Properties|Desired Shift Time
    if I zero out those tables will I have to conduct a crank relearn to zero out any learned/adaptive process the system has done since I got rid of TQ mgmt? or will I just have to download the new tune?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by moregrip
    if I zero out those tables will I have to conduct a crank relearn to zero out any learned/adaptive process the system has done since I got rid of TQ mgmt? or will I just have to download the new tune?
    No. Download the new tune. Don't expect night and day differences though. Some trannys are limited by their internal mechanics and can only be really livened up by a shift kit.

Tuner
    No. Download the new tune. Don't expect night and day differences though. Some trannys are limited by their internal mechanics and can only be really livened up by a shift kit.
    sounds good, I'll give it a try. I do have a shift kit and it has softened slightly since the install/removing TQ mgmt, so I want to get rid of the adaptive process to see if that brings it back. Otherwise I'm thinking my tranny may be starting to show signs going away. I hope not though as I exoected more out a 4l80e with a transgo shiftkit

Tuner
    will zero out Shift Properties|Desired Shift Time table hurt anything?

It just disables all adaptive learning. If your shift pressures are too high before the adaptive learning, they will still be too high (or too low as the case may be).

I like to leave shift times in the .250 - .300 range with adaptive shifting. Lowering them below that just ramps the linepressure because the adapts are trying to meet the requested shift times.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    been tuning and test driving all morning......

the truck is more responsive than ever with my current changes, 1-2 shift 3/4 throttle is awesome! the front end of the truck lifts........however my WOT 1-2 shift is still what I would consider "not right". for comparison for those that have done a transgo shiftkit the WOT 1-2 shift feels alot like a WOT 3-4 shift would. In every other instance it is spot on perfect.........anymore ideas?

the only table I have not modified is the Force Motor Current

my theory is at the higher TQ outputs on the 1-2(i.e. WOT shift) I may need to bump line pressure a little bit as it may not be getting enough. Does this make any sense, thoughts?

Log your shift times in the scanner and that should tell you alot about before & after changing line pressure. If shift times go down with pressure increase Bingo! If they don't change, you're at a mechanical limit. I would go in increments of 5 at the max torque to find out. Remember you are limited to 96 so if you are there, you are done. lol
    Always Support Our Troops!

I just got my HPtuner and I have started working on TM reduction and it seems like some of this may be overkill. For instance in the very first table above which is the transmission torque management table. I would think that setting the abuse to disable would have been sufficent but you also set RPM, %TPS and SPEED to zeros. Based on the help messages that appear in my HPtuner if I had to set those parameters to something I would have set them to 8000 RPM 100% TPS and 0 MPH. Is this correct methodology or maybe I do not understand HPtuner yet ? Also where can I get an HPtuner file for a stock 2000 Corvette with an A4 ?

Thanks >>>>> INTHERED
    LINGENFELTER MAGNACHARGED 2000 A4 Torch Red Z51 Vert, Smoothline HT, LPE IC Magnacharger, Z06 cam, LPE CNC heads, CC RPM kit, LPE hood, Yank 2800, Rossler trans, Z06 rear w/300Ms, Chrome C6 Z06 rims w/PS2s, Z06 calipers w/PF carbon metallics , Eradispeeds, WCC screens, BBK 80mm TB, TB bypass, 160 TS, GM Z06 MAF, Blackwing, Corsa Pace, AR headers X-pipe & Hiflow Cats, GM HP wires, NGK TR6s, Hptuned by INTHERED with a best 1/4 mile of 10.87 @ 128.90 mph on BFG DRs

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by INTHERED
    I just got my HPtuner and I have started working on TM reduction and it seems like some of this may be overkill. For instance in the very first table above which is the transmission torque management table. I would think that setting the abuse to disable would have been sufficent but you also set RPM, %TPS and SPEED to zeros.
    Correct. The enable/disable is the master switch for that mode. The other ones are qualifiers if enbabled.

Quote Originally Posted by INTHERED
    Based on the help messages that appear in my HPtuner if I had to set those parameters to something I would have set them to 8000 RPM 100% TPS and 0 MPH. Is this correct methodology or maybe I do not understand HPtuner yet ?Thanks >>>>> INTHERED

Correct on your values if you left the abuse mode enabled. Otherwise they are never looked at if abuse is disabled. You can eliminate it either way, but setting the switch is the fastest

-Ken