Thread: Stall saver strategy??

Stall saver strategy??

just looking for some insights on to what this table does...
    what values to put in...and what higher or lower values do...
    wanting to know exactly what stall saver strategy is in as much detail as possible

please give me an example of why to use this tables as well and what it is best used for
    -Scott -

Stall saver invokes the derivative airflow at the maximum level if the RPM drops below the threshold set. It also disengages the AC clutch if the AC is on.

This gives an instant boost to the IAC to try and prevent a stall.
    I count sheep in hex...

so a smart way to populate the table is to tell it an RPM value less than the table value???
    meaning idles at 1000....
    set 800 to 600
    set 600 to 400
    set 400 to 300
    something like that??
    telling the pcm if Idle drops below 600 to get it back up to 800??
    and hopefully that will be enoug for it to recover gracefully??

am I looking at this te right way??
    thinking of it as a safety catch??
    -Scott -

yes, although generally the derivative and proportional airflow would have already kicked in if the RPM dropped quickly below the desired idle RPM. A lot of cals don't use the stall saver.

Chris..
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    An alternative is to jack up your cracker flow in the 400RPM column to something around 1.0g/sec from 6kph. Note that idle adaptive control will not enable unless travelling less than 3kph (default) so if you have a tendency to stall when coming to a stop, stall saver isnt going to help you.

Tuner
    So I had this same question and did some searching. I found a handful of threads like this one -- people asking what it's for, others speculating about how it's maybe supposed to be used, and the final answer being "don't use it, you want to do X instead."

So, what is it for? If I shouldn't use it, why is it in the software?

Advanced Tuner
    Keep it active, dont use it for a bandaid. I had a truck come in from a big name shop with the ac not working. A full retune from scratch fixed all idle issues and i was blowing the cold ac while retuning it.

Tuner
    Okay, but what is it for? And what do the values mean? If I put 400 in the 600 column, under what circumstances does that value get used, and how?