Thread: Lets start...with the TCM

Tuner

Lets start...with the TCM

Ok Guys and gals lets dig in. The MAIN reason I got HPT for the shop truck was to play with the TCM. Some of you may remember me fromt he old LT1 days digging in the transmission long before any one else.

This brings me to my biggest problem so far. I can NOT get reliable communications with the TCM. It is hit and miss and with HPT if you do not get a good connection with the TCM you do not get a read at all.

When I was playing a few weeks ago I actually took the TCM out of the truck and made sure all was was. While I was at it I made a few tunes for just in case. Well tonight tunes out to be that case. After an hour of freezing my ass off in 20* weather to put my tune back in I gave up and pulled the TCM fuse and uploaded one of my other tunes.

RPITFA!

I am just glad I was prepared. The ONLY thing that changed was i had the truck at the dealer for new injectors (anyone with a LB7 can relate). No programming was done at the dealer BUT I had pulled all mine out. All I wanted was to upload the tune I was running before.

So I DID take a few note. I also noticed that a few times HPT also could not find the truck and if i switched off "high speed"i it would not find the MPVI Pro. Other then that it always failed on the TCM. For a while it kept failing at "loc: 0" and then eventually moved up to "loc: 64800" and "loc: 68c00"

Like I said I never did get a good read on the TCM. If I am not getting a good read there is no way in hell I am trying to program.

Maybe we could add a switch to not read/program the TCM?

How is every one else doing?
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

Senior Tuner
    The problem is the truck does screwy things during programming. You have to make sure nothing has been modified on the truck. This includes any aftermarket add on devices or modified stereo systems. If you do, remove them or pull the fuses on them.

What the ECM does is broadcast a bunch of garbage after it is read/written (it thinks there is something wrong with the VIN/EEprom). So if you are doing consecutive reads, you must turn the key off to reset everything.

If you have an older slower laptop that cannot keep up with the amount of data sent on the vehicle bus (we ignore the bad stuff and keep the good stuff), the USB buffer can overlfow and we lose the good stuff. Hence the failed at "loc xxx " error.

At this point in time you can either use slow speed mode or try a faster laptop. Either way it will make it through the read/write process.

We may be able to come up with a good workaround for this later on, but for now its a GM bug that you guys have to put up with.

-Ken

Tuner
    Ken. thanks for responding. I my be a good canidate to test with. My laptop is a two month old Dell. I am guessing the Intel 2g Dou 2 should be fast enough? I think there are only three chip sets or so faster. There are no Box's on the truck. The truck has been returned to stock.

Maybe If I shoot you the Vin you can shoot me back the latest updated stock ECM/TCM flash? I could run my truck down to Tom's (Wongs Performance Engineering) so we can put the latest GM flash in it with a Tech II but it is a bit of a drive.

BTW On slow speed the dongle will not communicate with the laptop.

Is there a log file like on Tune cats that I can send you to check this?

I would gladdy test any thing that won't fry the computers
    Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 01-12-2007 at 11:19 PM.
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

Tuner
    ????????
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
    Ken. thanks for responding. I my be a good canidate to test with. My laptop is a two month old Dell. I am guessing the Intel 2g Dou 2 should be fast enough? I think there are only three chip sets or so faster. There are no Box's on the truck. The truck has been returned to stock.
    What model lapptop?

Maybe If I shoot you the Vin you can shoot me back the latest updated stock ECM/TCM flash? I could run my truck down to Tom's (Wongs Performance Engineering) so we can put the latest GM flash in it with a Tech II but it is a bit of a drive.
    We dont have those. You have to use a tech II from the dealer.

BTW On slow speed the dongle will not communicate with the laptop.
    Low speed if for vehicle side communcations only. It does not affect the USB side. If you cannot communicate low speed, then it may be PC related (USB driver conflict, etc). Try scanning both your truck and some other GM vehicle.
    If that works without problems, then we are back to sqaure 1 with the vehicle having communication problems. You may need to pull the radio and or Onstar fuse's.

Is there a log file like on Tune cats that I can send you to check this?
    Yes, the VCM Suite info log.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners
    What model lapptop?
    Two month old Dell E1505 Looks like I was one off on the chip. other lap top is 2G:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz
    Processor Speed 1.79 GHz
    Memory (RAM) 1024 MB
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Any thing I missed let me know

We dont have those. You have to use a tech II from the dealer.
    Ok I will have to make the trip and get it done. We have not bought a Tech II yet. Is it a must to have a pure stock file?

Low speed if for vehicle side communcations only. It does not affect the USB side. If you cannot communicate low speed, then it may be PC related (USB driver conflict, etc). Try scanning both your truck and some other GM vehicle.
    If that works without problems, then we are back to sqaure 1 with the vehicle having communication problems. You may need to pull the radio and or Onstar fuse's.
    Kind of stuck with out other cars right now. Some thing about the 3in of compact snow and ice on the road I did pull the fuses with no luck. The problem only shows up with the TCM side.

Yes, the VCM Suite info log.
    If I get this log to you will it help?
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

Tuner
    So we getting any where here? It is 18* out side right now but I will go see if .6 is any better at reading the trans

Update:

.6 seems to read much better then .4 did Fast and slow so far
    Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 01-29-2007 at 11:35 PM.
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

Tuner
    That is good to hear. I am going to try mine hopefully today and see where it gets me.

Jon
    2012 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins with Banks CAI, intake tubes, intake horn, grid heater/EGR/DEF delete, 4" Straight pipe
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Stock - but looking to change that

I haven't done a read yet on 2.1.16, but I did a write yesterday. I've never had a problem writing on any vehicle, but it took about 4 and a half minutes in high speed. It seems like previous writes took about 2 and a half minutes. Not a big deal, just wondering if something changed.

Thanks
    2005 Sierra Z71 SLT CCSB (LM7)
    STS GT67, LPE GT 2-3, ASP Pulley, Delphi 42#, A'PEXi AVC-R, PLX SM-AFR, FLT Level 5 4L65E, PI Vig 2600, HP Tuners with 2-Bar SD OS (Plus some smaller mods)

Support our Troops

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by alanderson1978
    I haven't done a read yet on 2.1.16, but I did a write yesterday. I've never had a problem writing on any vehicle, but it took about 4 and a half minutes in high speed. It seems like previous writes took about 2 and a half minutes. Not a big deal, just wondering if something changed.

Thanks

Make sure it is in high speed i noticed mine was all set to low speed after the install. I also had an issue when I re-booted the computer after the install. Not sure if it is related or not. I have re-installed it yet. I had to roll back to before the install to solve issue. I will go re-install now and see.

Seems to be working good now that I re-loaded it. The install did loose the Desk top icons(pics) so I just deleted them and made more
    Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 02-01-2007 at 01:20 AM.
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A