Thread: HELP: can I overwrite a locked ECM?

HELP: can I overwrite a locked ECM?

A friend has a 2006 Pontiac Solstice 2.4 liter Ecotec engine. He added a Hahn turbo, which included reflashing his ECM. However, they "lock" the ECM.

Can I overwrite that flash with a complete system write? I have saved the complete reads from several stock Solsti and they are all identical, except for the VIN, so would I be able to change the VIN in the computer before writing to his ECM? If not, after I reflash the system, would he be able to drive the car to the dealer and get a crank re-learn?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    If its locked, its most likely locked from all reflashing unless its done by a tech 2 or something. I dont know if Hptuners or EFIlive can do that.
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

Thanks, Chris.

Anyone else have any comments?

(Oh, sorry, I meant to put this in the 4 cylinder forum, gotta get these reading glasses fixed! )

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    depends how its locked, but normally no you wont be able to flash it or even read it for that matter.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    depends how its locked, but normally no you wont be able to flash it or even read it for that matter.
    Thanks for the info, foff667.

Am I correct that for normal purposes, the HP Tuner is used to read a segment of the ECM, changes are made to parameters within that segment, and then that segment is written back to the ECM?

And under some circumstances, can't the entire ECM program be read, changes made to appropriate parameters, and then the entire program is written back to the ECM?

And if I am correct on those two details, I was hoping that I could take an entire ECM program from a different ECM and write it onto the old ECM. It would seem possible that since it's writing the entire ECM, it would be like writing a new operating system onto a computer, regardless of a lock on the existing program. Well, I was hopeful, anyway.

My friend is selling his Solstice after removing the after-market turbo. He needs to have his ECM reset back to stock.

Advanced Tuner
    Get a new ECM from somewhere else, and just write a stock file onto it and change the VIN so it matches the car, and slap her in. And you can keep the flashed ECM and sell it with the turbo ot keep it either way.
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    so that means no logging correct?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you should be able to datalog & read/clear DTC's...just means you wont be able to do a read/write on the pcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"