Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Tuning VVE / Start and run, but not idle

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    Give this one a go. I checked on the one you attached and the looks like the VVE didn't change.

Attachment 145962
    So didn't see your tune VVE Test-1 until now. I did capture a much longer log using the tune I loaded. I filled in a good portion of the table. I need to hit the higher load and higher RPM, and I am trying not to trigger PE.

VVE test_from LS Rob, Pass1.hpt
    5.5.24 - Test VVE_LS Rob, Pass1 Long Cruise.hpl

The throttle is much smoother, no tip in stumble that I have been having issues with!

Advanced Tuner
    Ok. I'll take a look..

Advanced Tuner
    Right. Try not to get into PE.

VVE test_from LS Rob, Pass1 -1.1.hpt

Tuner
    Right. Try not to get into PE.

VVE test_from LS Rob, Pass1 -1.1.hpt
    Thanks! It's about to storm here, so I won't be out getting any more logs today. Hope to get back out tomorrow afternoon and get another log after work.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose_Screws View Post
    Thanks! It's about to storm here, so I won't be out getting any more logs today. Hope to get back out tomorrow afternoon and get another log after work.
    Sounds good. I'll check back tomorrow. Just be mindful of not getting into PE, Knock, and aggressive throttle movements when trying to hit the mid-range rpms. A couple more logs like the last one will go a long way. At that point we can turn PE back on and get a WOT pull. The PE settings need some tweaking too, so just do normal driving for now.

Senior Tuner
    I smoothed out the VVE a little for you.

The timing tables could use a lot of help. Even going back to a stock timing table should offer improvement. Its very low in timing.
    VVE test_from LS Rob, Pass1.AL.hpt
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    Sounds good. I'll check back tomorrow. Just be mindful of not getting into PE, Knock, and aggressive throttle movements when trying to hit the mid-range rpms. A couple more logs like the last one will go a long way. At that point we can turn PE back on and get a WOT pull. The PE settings need some tweaking too, so just do normal driving for now.
    Rob, I took the car out and got a 32 minute log running the Pass1 -1.1 tune you posted. Didn't get as much of the table covered this time, but the trims are looking good!

At 4:10 in "part 2" log, I held trans in 2nd and the throttle at ~50%, carried it up to 5,000 RPM. Wideband data shows 1.0, but the NB shows 14% lean?

The car runs great, sounds great and feels great. Getting anxious to turn MAF back on, bump the timing and make a few pulls with it!

EDIT: It's not letting me upload files. File must be too large. How do I reduce file size (8 MB)?

EDIT 2: Exported logs choosing "visible", chopped it into 3 files

5.6.24 - LS Rob, Pass1 -1.1, part 1.hpl
    5.6.24 - LS Rob, Pass1 -1.1, part 2.hpl
    5.6.24 - LS Rob, Pass1 -1.1, part 3.hpl
    Last edited by Loose_Screws; 1 Week Ago at 06:22 PM.

Tuner
    Since I couldn't post the entire log with histogram, I copied it to an .XLS to make it easy to grab. LS Rob, Pass1 -1.1, Export of TRIM histogram from full log.xlsx

Advanced Tuner
    Since I couldn't post the entire log with histogram, I copied it to an .XLS to make it easy to grab. LS Rob, Pass1 -1.1, Export of TRIM histogram from full log.xlsx
    Im going to pm you my email. That 3rd log had something wrong with it.
    Last edited by LS ROB; 1 Week Ago at 10:53 PM.

Tuner
    Have made good progress with cleaning up the VVE table...big thank you to LS Rob for the help!

Here the current tune with MAF failed - LS Rob, Pass1 -1.5RB5.hpt

Here is a log with a couple of quick heavy throttle runs - 5.11.24 - 1.5RB4, hot cruise.hpl

Here is another log that is longer and more like a Sunday drive - 5.11.24 - 1.5RB4, hot cruise 2.hpl

Looking at the histograms in both logs, all of the corrections are all below 5% with very few exceptions. The cruise and mild throttle areas are spot on. Would the VVE table now be considered complete/ready?

VVE Table for reference - 5.11.24 - 1.5RB4 VVE.PNG

Assuming VVE is ready, I want to copy over timing tables and go for another cruise to confirm trims are still good and everything is good.

After that, what are suggested next steps? Turn on MAF and log data? Any special setups for datalogging that I should follow to have a useful log?

Thanks!

Tuner

Need help with timing tables

Need some help timing tables. I turned on MAF, DFCO, etc. and also copied over timing tables from a stock 2010 5.3 from a truck (less idle tables that LS Rob adjusted for me). Went for a quick run and once I was felt comfortable engine wasn't lean, did a full WOT pulls. Timing is very low, 5-6 degrees WOT.

I have adjusted the IAT and feel it is accurate. The under hood temps on my car are less than optimal and filter/intake is located behind radiator.

Also, I am running 87 octane. No flex fuel sensor. Suggestions on where to go with timing?

Current Tune - 5.11.24 - 1.5RB5 with updated timing tables, tweak lean TRIMs in VVE, turn on MAF.hpt
    Log - 5.11.24 - 1.5RB5, MAF on.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Need some help timing tables. I turned on MAF, DFCO, etc. and also copied over timing tables from a stock 2010 5.3 from a truck (less idle tables that LS Rob adjusted for me). Went for a quick run and once I was felt comfortable engine wasn't lean, did a full WOT pulls. Timing is very low, 5-6 degrees WOT.

I have adjusted the IAT and feel it is accurate. The under hood temps on my car are less than optimal and filter/intake is located behind radiator.

Also, I am running 87 octane. No flex fuel sensor. Suggestions on where to go with timing?

Current Tune - 5.11.24 - 1.5RB5 with updated timing tables, tweak lean TRIMs in VVE, turn on MAF.hpt
    Log - 5.11.24 - 1.5RB5, MAF on.hpl
    Hey man! Just got back in town. Are these the most recent log and tune? If so, give this a go.

maf-vve.hpt
    Last edited by LS ROB; 3 Days Ago at 07:30 PM.

Tuner
    Hey man! Just got back in town. Are these the most recent log and tune? If so, give this a go.

maf-vve.hpt
    I just got back into town myself! I had done a few tweaks already and a log. I comparing the 2 tunes now...looks like I got a little more aggressive adding timing.

Nova V2.0.hpt
    5.12.24 - V2 cruise.hpl

I'll load up your tune and get a log, but may be a day or two as we have some bad weather coming through Alabama.

Advanced Tuner
    I just got back into town myself! I had done a few tweaks already and a log. I comparing the 2 tunes now...looks like I got a little more aggressive adding timing.

Nova V2.0.hpt
    5.12.24 - V2 cruise.hpl

I'll load up your tune and get a log, but may be a day or two as we have some bad weather coming through Alabama.
    Sounds good. MAF looks pretty good in that log. I viewed a comparison of your tune and the one I posted and the maf changes are minimal so that's looking pretty close. VVE; we will see what this next log shows. I addressed the leaner areas, so hopefully, it drives a little better. As for the timing, I would suggest trying to get some help from one of the guys who do this on the daily. They also may be able to see some things that may improve on what we have done already and/or help diag your codes. Do you have aftermarket mufflers?

*** EDIT***

Just noticed that the MAF Fail High & Low Hz has not been changed back. May want to put the stock values back in there.
    Last edited by LS ROB; 1 Day Ago at 06:56 PM.

Tuner
    Sounds good. MAF looks pretty good in that log. I viewed a comparison of your tune and the one I posted and the maf changes are minimal so that's looking pretty close. VVE; we will see what this next log shows. I addressed the leaner areas, so hopefully, it drives a little better. As for the timing, I would suggest trying to get some help from one of the guys who do this on the daily. They also may be able to see some things that may improve on what we have done already and/or help diag your codes. Do you have aftermarket mufflers?

*** EDIT***

Just noticed that the MAF Fail High & Low Hz has not been changed back. May want to put the stock values back in there.
    Yeah, not sure what to do to take care of the fault codes. The exhaust system is Pypes 2.5" X-pipe "Race Pro" kit for Chevy II's.

Good catch on the MAF Fail...I keep forgetting to check the "ENGINE DIAG" section!

Thanks again for the help!

Tuner
    Loaded the tune after adjusting the MAF FAIL settings. Grabbed a log from cold start up to idle and a cruise.

5.15.24 - LS Rob maf-vve.hpt - Tune
    5.17.24 - LS Rob MAF-VVE, cold start and idle up to temp.hpl - Cold start log
    5.17.24 LS Rob MAF-VVE, interstate cruise.hpl - Cruise log

Advanced Tuner
    Loaded the tune after adjusting the MAF FAIL settings. Grabbed a log from cold start up to idle and a cruise.

5.15.24 - LS Rob maf-vve.hpt - Tune
    5.17.24 - LS Rob MAF-VVE, cold start and idle up to temp.hpl - Cold start log
    5.17.24 LS Rob MAF-VVE, interstate cruise.hpl - Cruise log
    Hmm.. let me look at this for a min. Something is off here; you still have P0103 showing up as "current" too. Did you happen to reset LTFT's?

Advanced Tuner
    Flash this in, clear DTC's and reset LTFT's before logging. If it runs better, get around 25min of a log. No WOT pulls on this one; just easy driving with smooth pedal movements. Maybe take a look at the MAF sensor too just to make sure its plugged in all the way. If it isn't plugged in all the way; plug it in and get another log of the previous tune I attached. If it is plugged in all the way then flash this one. VVE-MAF NEW.hpt
    Last edited by LS ROB; 18 Hours Ago at 08:56 PM.

Tuner
    Hmm.. let me look at this for a min. Something is off here; you still have P0103 showing up as "current" too. Did you happen to reset LTFT's?
    Flash this in, clear DTC's and reset LTFT's before logging. If it runs better, get around 25min of a log. No WOT pulls on this one; just easy driving with smooth pedal movements. Maybe take a look at the MAF sensor too just to make sure its plugged in all the way. If it isn't plugged in all the way; plug it in and get another log of the previous tune I attached. If it is plugged in all the way then flash this one. VVE-MAF NEW.hpt
    I try to reset the LTFTs after each flash...which is the correct process to follow or should I not?

Thanks for taking another pass and working up the tune! I'll load it up tomorrow and take a cruise. I'll also check the MAF as well.

Advanced Tuner
    I try to reset the LTFTs after each flash...which is the correct process to follow or should I not?

Thanks for taking another pass and working up the tune! I'll load it up tomorrow and take a cruise. I'll also check the MAF as well.
    You can reset LTFT's, no problem there. And no worries; we had this looking pretty good with the maf-vve tune. Not sure what happened to throw fueling off that much unless it was the MAF fail setting. I'll use filters to work both VVE and MAF at the same time. Goes a little quicker if we can get a couple of good logs.